Tuesday, September 27, 2016

"I see" said the blind carpenter

As a kid I found great amusement in this word play. "I see said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw." It amuses me even more now as the irony of its vision becomes clear. Its focus on that humble carpenter. This morning in response to a friends comment about the blindness of the 'seeing class' I shared the following:observation (here slightly modified so as to stand on its own)... "Watching things unfold of late, here's what has come to interest -- and teach -- me: There was a time when the "uneducated" were Barnum's rubes. When he could lead them quickly out of the circus side show simply by posting a sign that read in fancy script "THIS WAY TO THE THE GRANDE EGRESS." But those days are past. Today it is true that there are many things that only an educated person is foolish enough to believe. The reason is, I think, exposure. Unadulterated and unguided. And thus in this vast complex world the basic skills God gave man to navigate the old "smaller" world are now working to help him navigate the larger one. Today the common man sees and *gets it.* No persiflage stands in his way. That is why the pundits have been, and continue to be, totally wrong. And the people -- "We the People" in that old but by no means outdated phrase -- so very, very right. We the People did not walk away empty handed last night. As Scott "Dilbert" Adams wrote on his blog "Clinton won the debate last night. And while she was doing it, Trump won the election."
Then this evening I came upon this article by Newt Gingrich... Trump won the debate. Don't believe the "Intellectual Yet Idiot" class Newt seems to be observing that same exciting "new" but old reality as I. And he provides data to support it. I do encourage you to give it a read. It may give you a basis for hope that our Republic can survive. And if it does that it will be because of people like us. Seeing. Speaking. Acting. "We the People."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share a thought about today's blog post? I'd love to hear from you!

(Please allow time for moderation before your comment is posted)